Tuesday, May 25, 2010

No more!

I've always had a tendency to quit or take the easy way out of things. Rather than really man up to issues, I just kind of recede and sit back, and for the most part it's always worked out alright. I think the only reason why it's worked out in the past was because life never really interested me much. It was just something to participate in, but never to really have a stake in.

But now things are actually really important to me. Not like "It'd be cool to have that last slice of cheesecake but no matter I can always buy some more" important, but "worth holding onto and never want to lose" important. Part of this is my own renewed drive to really be happy with my life, but I think a large part of it is because I have people who rely on me and whose happiness relies somewhat on my success. Maybe rely is a strong word to use, but I guess what I'm saying is I'm sure they'd be pretty bummed if I failed at life or offed myself.

So let's talk goals:
1) Don't chicken out and doubt myself; get into med school and become a kick-ass doctor (no really, I want to be a doctor who knows martial arts)
2) Make the people that love me happy, and make them feel loved, well, because they are. I've finally got a hold of some really great people to be my friends, and I don't want to let them go.
3) Get good at Korean. I owe it to my family, here and in Korea, to be able to communicate with them.
4) Get good at SSF4. May seem like a silly goal, but if I can't be good at a video game with fair, fixed rules, how can I expect to be good at life, a game with constantly changing rules that are never in your favor? This goal goes a little less with the theme of "people around me," but it is a personal obstacle that I really want to overcome and not just quit. Plus, David needs someone to be his rival.

I have the people around me to thank for this, because when your actions have consequences beyond just yourself, you tend to be more mature and well-thought about things. I was afraid that I would spend my life stuck in "me me me" world and end up alone, but I don't think that's so much of a problem anymore. I think I'm finally growing up a bit.

I'm an adult! >:o Hope somebody gets that reference.

2 comments:

M.B. said...

I get the reference!
What I don't get is why I don't get a mention and David does.
>[

Kidding. I like this post. Despite the fact that I'm not in it. :P

Veronica said...

I GET IT I GET IT YAYYYYYY =]=]=]