Thursday, March 19, 2009

The little things are fun to destroy

Being stuck in a rut isn't fun.

Here's one definition of a rut:
1. an annually recurrent state of sexual excitement in the male deer ; broadly : sexual excitement in a mammal especially when periodic

Unfortunately, this wasn't that kind of rut. It wasn't broadly sexual or exciting, and there were no periodic mammals in site.

I got stuck on a Sudoku puzzle last night. Then, I worked that damn thing all of this afternoon, and while stuck staring at my half-empty (you get pretty pessimistic in a rut) grid, I kind of just sat there waiting for an answer to come. But it didn't.

So I decided I'd take a try reading the instruction page in the book. Turns out they teach you a strategy that I hadn't considered before. I never thought of reading the instructions before. After all, I'd finished plenty of the difficult puzzles using the strategies I thought up.

I proceeded to finish the puzzle in the next 15 minutes.

The lesson here? I'm a genius. Just kidding. The lesson is that when you're in a rut, you can never wait and hope for someone to come pick you up; you've got to dig yourself out, and sometimes that means going back to the beginning.

1 comment:

keviokevio said...

Whoa I this comment is kinda late, but... that was nice. THANKS FOR THE MORAL!! :)