Monday, July 5, 2010

The In-Between 2

So I followed through with "The In-Between"! This post was a little late because I realized that posting at the end of the weekend makes a lot more sense, since a lot of what's interesting about my week happens on the weekend, and I'd rather write about those things when they're fresh in my memory.

This week was my first week with 2 labs, which was a little challenging, but definitely doable. I enjoy organic chemistry a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe it's because the material is still fairly simple, but it's definitely more enjoyable than general chemistry. I think it's because things make more sense, whereas chem 1a was this annoying, vague mash-up of different concepts and principles that they kind of just threw at us. Or maybe it's because Pedersen is a badass, and he could just about teach anything and it'd be interesting and clear. If there's anything that's served as an extra incentive to go to lecture in the mornings, it's been this cute girl that sits near where I sit. Unfortunately, from the few times I've interacted with her, it seems doubtful that things will go anywhere with her, but nonetheless it's fun when someone in a crowd of hundreds stands out to you. It gives you something to look forward to seeing in the morning haze of Pedersen's monotonous voice, bond-line structures, and very uncomfortable tables.

Thursday night Jeff's friend Nikki and her roommate (whose name I can't spell and won't attempt) came over for dinner. Andy and Xavier made chicken curry and ox-tail soup, which were both really good. I'm glad I live with guys who like cooking and are good at it. I really enjoy having company over for dinner. I have a feeling when I'm old and settled down, I'm going to be a Monica and invite people over to my house or apartment all the time.

Friday and Saturday were fairly uneventful, but pretty relaxing. I got a decent amount of my ochem problem sets done with. I haven't touched anything for lab... god do I hate ochem lab. It's really only made tolerable because of two things: for once, I have a partner who's likable and competent, and actually a little cute, too.

Today I went to see fireworks. Unfortunately, David, Andy, and Xavier were too busy/unwilling to come with me, Jeff, and Yuxi =[. We were originally going to take the bus, but realized we were running too late after dinner, despite having inhaled our hamburger meat as fast as we could. We actually started running towards the bus station, then ran back home and took the car -_-. We picked up Teruki and Michelle and headed to pier 39, and got back at around 2 AM. How could going to see fireworks take upwards of 5 hours was what David wondered when I shuffled into our room not so long ago. Well let me tell you, cars on the 4th of July = headache.

From finding parking to navigating traffic to finding more parking, we probably spent a majority of the night in Jeff's car. Luckily, I wasn't driving so I got to relax carelessly in my seat. Despite not having actually done much for the time we were out, I had a lot of fun tonight. I love getting lost or stuck in traffic with friends. I'm fortunate that I have friends who are fun to be in mundane situations with. Really, Jeff and Yuxi can make just about anything interesting and entertaining, and Teruki and Michelle are plenty cool. A radio blasting Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson and the latest guilty-pleasure pop hits helps, too.

By the end of the night, I felt as though I had enjoyed my 4th of July to the fullest. I was worried that I'd be feeling down, since my 4th of July last year was just so much fun. It's funny, actually. When David and the others had decided to not go, I had a moment where I was sitting on the floor, putting my shoes on, and I had to choose whether or not to stay home as well. I was a little worried that going out wouldn't be that fun and that I'd just be a downer, but looking back I would've regretted not going, so I'm really glad I put my shoes on and just went with it. In the future, I think I'll try to always opt to put my shoes on, as I spend enough time with my feet warm in my slippers.

No comments: